Did She Really Just Say That? 10 Comments That Enrage Parents of Kids With Disabilities
That was so rude! I should strangle her with a G-Tube. No, come on. Calm down. Calm down. Deep breaths, count to ten.
1…2…3…stop grinding your teeth…4…5…they didn’t mean it, they just don’t understand….6…7…but what a stupid, insensitive…NO! no, just breathe…8…
Let’s hope that parent makes it to 10.
In fact, let’s hope every parent can keep their cool when somebody makes a rude comment about their child’s condition.
It happens far too often if you’re the parent of a child with special needs.
Some people with typically-developing kids can say all sorts of stupid stuff, which may not be aimed to hurt you but can still land a sickening blow.
We asked some mums of kids with disabilities – Stacy Warden, Lenice Heffernan, Dawn Hamilton and Julie Brocklehurst – to tell us what people say that boils their blood:
1. “He looks so normal”
2. “You are so lucky you don't have a child who can talk back”
3. “You’re lucky you don’t have to chase after her”
4. “Isn't there a vaccine for what he has?”
5. “God only gives special kids to special parents”
6. “You're a saint, I could never do what you do”
7. “When is he going to start talking?”
8. “My child learned to read by the age of 1, I am raising a baby genius”
9. "Oh, how sad for you. Maybe you'll get it right the next time"
10. “Is he your only child? Are you going to have another one?”