• English
  • French
  • German
  • Italian
  • Portuguese
  • Spanish
  • Swedish

Insurance Funding Request

Did you know Firefly products may be funded by your insurance?

Learn More
Back to Firefly Blog

7 Things To Do When Planning Your Special Needs Child’s Future

7 Things To Do When Planning Your Special Needs Child’s Future

1.  Set up a will:

You must consult with an attorney who specializes in disability planning for this endeavor.

Be sure to appoint a guardian and standby guardian for your child in your will.

You don't want the courts appointing one for your child in the event that something should happen to you and your child's other parent.

Your will must be set up with special instructions for any amounts of money your child may inherit or life insurance policy payouts he or she may receive to be deposited into a Special Needs Trust Fund.

2.  Set up a Special Needs Trust Fund:

You'll need to hire an attorney to set this up for you as well.

Leaving money or assets to your special needs child can be tricky.

It is of the utmost importance that this is set up correctly!!

You don't want to jeopardize your child's government disability entitlements such as SSI or Medicaid by leaving them money or property improperly.

3.  Petition the courts for guardianship of your child:

Until any child is 18, his parents are considered by the courts to be his legal guardians.

Once he turns 18 however, that is no longer the case.

Regardless if your child has a disability or special need, once your child turns 18, the court will assume that your he or she is an adult as well.

The whole process of petitioning the courts for guardianship absolutely must be completed BEFORE your child turns 18, because the second he turns 18 it will be assumed that he is a responsible adult, capable of making his own decisions.

It is highly possible that if you find yourself in an emergency situation after your child turns 18, you are not his legal guardian, and it is determined that your child is not capable of making his own decisions, that a temporary guardian could be appointed by the courts to make decisions for him, regardless you, the parent's wishes!

4. Apply for special needs government financial entitlements: 

There are many government financial resources available to qualifying individuals with disabilities.

In the US we have Supplemental Security Income or SSI which provides a monthly income to children and adults with disabilities who cannot work.

You can apply for SSI at any time in your child's life, but until they are 18 their parents' income will count in determining their eligibility.

Once your child turns 18 however, parents income no longer counts and most individuals are determined to be eligible.

Most states also have Medicaid Waivers available.

Children or adults with significant disabilities and medical costs are usually eligible for this government medical insurance program.

Parents income doesn't count in determining eligibility.

Some states even have a Home of Your Own Program that helps individuals with disabilities buy and maintain their own homes.

Your child may also be eligible for food stamps and funds for heating their home.

5. Apply for special needs services:

Your child may be eligible for another service that is available in most communities called the Home and Community Based Waiver.

This service offers case managers or service coordinators to assist in ensuring that your child is receiving all the help that is available to him.

Examples could include respite workers, home health aides, home health nurses, community habilitation workers, job coaches, community transportation, gym memberships, hippotherapy, music therapy, art therapy. etc.

6. Decide where your child with life after you are gone:

Where would you like your child to live after you are gone?

There a few options to choose from, including but not limited to: living with a sibling, in a group home, in a supported apartment, in a shared apartment with other disabled individuals, or in their own home with the live-in staff.

7. Write a letter of intent: 

This is a letter for your child's future guardians intended to let them know how you'd like your child's life to be after you're gone.

It should include where you want your child to live, community activities your child would like to continue participating in, your child's place of worship, your child's friends, favorite foods, favorite activities, and all medical information.

I know it can be heartbreaking for parents of a precious, beloved child with disabilities to think about the time when they will no longer be there to love, care for, and protect them, but with a little careful planning and making a few informed, well thought out decisions you can achieve a measure of peace knowing that you have planned and provided for your child as much as is humanly possible!

Online Resources:

SSI Benefits / Home and Community Based Waivers / Medicaid Waiver

Firefly Blog

Real life stories, issues and experiences of day to day life by special needs parents and
healthcare professionals.

Claire Smyth

Meet Our Blogger

View Claire’s Profile

Become a Firefly Blogger

Would you like to write for Firefly? Join our blogger network of parents, therapists and professionals.

Get In Touch

Become a subscriber today

Join over 40,000 subscribers to our weekly newsletter with insightful articles just when you need them.

Join Mailing List

By using our site you agree to our use of cookies. Click here for more info.

Accept & Close

No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on

Purchases on $99+

US Customers only. Subject to credit approval. See terms below

Paypal Credit

Pay now or pay over time with PayPal Credit. Just use PayPal Credit in PayPal checkout.

Subject to credit approval.

Purchases of $99+:

No Interest if paid in full in 6 months on purchases of $99 or more.

  • A minimum monthly payment is required and may or may not pay off the promotional purchase by the end of the 6 month period.
  • No interest will be charged on the purchase if you pay it off in full within 6 months. If you do not, interest will be charged on the purchase from the purchase date at the Purchase APR applicable to your account.
  • For New Accounts: Variable Purchase APR is 25.49%. The APR is accurate as of 6/1/2018 and will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate (as defined in your credit card agreement). Minimum interest charge is $2.00.
  • Individual items that are less than $99 qualify for special financing when combined for a total of $99 or more in a single transaction.
  • Multiple separate transactions of less than $99 per transaction cannot be combined to meet the minimum purchase amount.

Purchases of $98.99 or less:

Buy now and pay over time with PayPal Credit when you spend $98.99 or less.

  • If you pay your balance in full each month by the payment due date that is on your statement, you can avoid paying interest.
  • Or, make minimum monthly payments, or any additional amount of your choosing, until you've paid off your balance according to your standard account terms. Please note, interest charges may apply.
  • We'll send you email reminders when your payments are due. You can also keep track of your account and view your statements online at any time.

About PayPal Credit

  • PayPal Credit is a reusable credit line available on purchases at thousands of stores that accept PayPal. It's also available for purchases on eBay and exclusively at thousands of other online stores. Plus, it comes with the same security and flexibility you trust from PayPal.
  • If approved, we start you off with a minimum credit line of at least $250. See FAQs for more info.
  • For New Accounts: Variable Purchase APR is 25.49%. The APR is accurate as of 6/1/2018 and will vary with the market based on the Prime Rate (as defined in your credit card agreement). Minimum interest charge is $2.00. See Terms and Conditions tab for more info.
  • If you miss a payment your late fee could be up to $38, even less if it's your first time. See FAQs for more info.

Please wait...