For those kids who do have trouble gaining weight, eating foods that provide plenty of calories and protein can be important.
This recipe for tuna salad provides a dense source of calories by including tuna packed in oil (rather than water or brine), nuts, dried fruit and mayonnaise.
Served with crackers and fruit juice, this would be a great meal packed full of calories and protein!
Tuna Salad with Walnuts and Raisins
- 6-ounce can tuna packed in oil
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- ¼ cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons yellow (or black) raisins
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (or more, if desired)
1. Open tuna and drain off oil.
2. Mix drained tuna with eggs, onion, relish, raisins, walnuts and mayonnaise.
3. Refrigerate until serving.